- OVERVIEW AND WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND
- AREAS COVERED AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- WHO WILL BENEFIT
This webinar will discuss the opportunities and challenges that the growing network of regional trade agreements (RTAs) presents for companies as they expand internationally. Complying with RTAs facilitate international business by lowering the barriers to the cross-border flow of goods and services. In 2010, 41% of U.S. goods were exported to a country with which the U.S. has signed a trade agreement. RTAs also bring with them complex preferential rules of origin with which companies must comply in order to fully access their benefits.
why should you attend
The ability to properly access new market opportunities presented by RTAs requires a proper understanding of the rules of origin for your product(s):
• What is “substantial transformation” and how will I know when it has taken place?
• What is a tariff shift; how and when does it occur?
• What is cumulation and how do I determine country of origin?
• From where can I source my inputs to take advantage of duty-free access into a specific market?
Beginning with the production process, these are some of the questions that must be asked and correctly answered to take maximum advantage of new market opportunities under RTAs. The benefit of duty-free access requires knowing how and why products qualify for this preferential entry.
Failure to follow correct import procedures, including proper classification of products can lead to the following:
• Goods may be refused duty-free entry or rejected altogether
• Importers can incur civil penalties
• Goods may be delayed because of inaccuracies or questions
All of this adds to the bottom line, leading to costs instead of benefits. Understanding and complying with the requirements of RTAs is essential to effectively taking advantage of the market access opportunities that they provide.
• A look at the “alphabet soup” of existing and pending RTAs
• Understanding free trade agreements
• Understanding customs unions
• Understanding other types of RTAs
• Other preferential regimes
• A look at major RTAs involving the US and the EU
• Opportunities for exporters of goods
• Complying with rules of origin & marking requirements
• Duty deferral and drawback procedures
• Recordkeeping requirements
• Opportunities for exporters of services
• Dispute settlement decisions and their implications
• Understand the scope of RTAs
• How to comply with their requirements to take advantage of the market access they provide
WHO WILL BENEFIT
• Customs Personnel or Officers
• Trade Compliance Personnel or Officers
• Import or Global Trade Directors or Managers
• Chief Compliance Officers
• Logistics Professionals
• Distribution Professionals
• Transportation Professionals
• Import Supervisors
• Customs Brokers
• Business Development Managers
Andrea Ewart, is a trade attorney who works with companies to minimize the costs and delays associated with moving products and services across international borders. Prior to opening her own firm in 2003, Andrea Ewart worked with the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm of Holland & Knight LLP, where she counseled and represented clients on U.S. customs law and enforcement, U.S. export control laws, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and African Growth Opportunity Act (AGOA) and Caribbean Basin Initiatives (CBI) preferential programs. She has successfully taken the U.S. customs broker exam.
Ms. Ewart is an accomplished speaker and writer and applies her practical experience on trade to the issues that affect businesses and their bottom line. Her workshops on the "Legal Do's and Don'ts of Doing Business Internationally" provide insightful and indispensable information, particularly for small businesses.
Ms. Ewart is admitted to the Washington D.C., Maryland, and the Florida Bars, and the U.S. Supreme Court Bar. She is an active member of several professional organizations, including her current position as Executive Vice President with the Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT).View all trainings by this speaker
Financial Statement Fraud and Identifying Red Flags
Speaker: Kenneth BardenPrice: $199
Moving from an Operational Manager to a Strategic Leader
Speaker: Chris DeVanyTime: 01:00 PM EDT | 10:00 AM PDT
Location: New York
Logistics Channel Incoterms Standards
Speaker: Dr. Rossano V. GeraldTime: 01:00 PM EDT | 10:00 AM PDT
Location: New York
Thank you for the spreadsheet webinar. The webinar was informative and helpful. Although many of the concepts are known and understood by Industrial and Process Engineers, it is always helpful to have a straightforward review. The spreadsheet will be beneficial in being able to help identify areas of risk and areas that may require some attention.
Benchmark Electronics , ******** Engineer
This was a very informative session, it did help my company by raising awareness in areas we lack policies. The only thing I would suggest get added to the session is direct information relating to Accounting, ex. Taxation rules for record retention as they are some records which a company is required to keep indefinitely.
First MCO, ***** Manager
Overall I found the video conference well organized and very informative. The presenter, Ronald Adler, was certainly extremely knowledgeable and presented the subject matter in a well organized, direct and succinct manner. Afford the attendee the ability to track and record paid attendance/activity without a lot of tracking and follow up in order to gather the necessary information required to record the CPEs earned and paid for.
Dynamic Marketing Systems, VP Finance & Human Resources
As this was our first experience, we did not know what to expect. I believe the webinar was informative and to the point, and explained to us the purpose of the I-9, and how the company can be affected by an audit. It really motivated us to review our files and bring them up to date.
Young Transportation, ****Coach****
I have participated in several webinars hosted by Compliance Global on various H&S topics. They are always precise, technologically-oriented, and easy to use and partake in to further my knowledge of current Health and Safety regulations and topics.